This week I passed the exam to become a Registered Dietitian.
What is a Registered Dietitian? Is that like a nutritionist?
Registered Dietitians (RDs) are experts in the field of nutrition that have met the requirements in order to hold the legal title of “RD”. Requirements to become an RD include:
- a Bachelors degree in nutrition, dietetics, or a related field
- Completion of 1200 supervised practice hours through an accredited program
- Passing the registration exam given by the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- RDs must then keep up with continuing education requirements in order to maintain their certification.
For those of you that would like to learn more:
- Here is more information from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on what a Registered Dietitian is
- Here is information on the internship program that I completed
- Here is one way to find a Registered Dietitian in your area