After nearly a year of romanticizing leisurely bike rides to the farmers market and around the Esplanade, I finally took the plunge and purchased a bicycle. Reality set in quickly, as it’s a bit of a struggle to shove the bike into our small, creaky elevator, and I’m still too nervous to ride on city streets alone. Nonetheless, I’m over the moon about my purchase!
So far I’ve only biked to Tatte Bakery in Beacon Hill, and done part of the Esplanade and the Battle Road Trail in Lexington, but I have lots of bike trips in the works (including Burlington, VT and the Cape Cod Rail Trail).
When deciding on a cruiser, I scanned the web a lot (including Craigslist) and ended up narrowing my search down to the four bikes below (hand brakes were mandatory), all around the $150 price range. (Keep an eye on the price — they were nearly all on sale when I was looking about a month ago.) I’ve also included a roundup of cute bike accessories, including helmets and baskets.
These bikes aren’t necessarily intended to power you through iron man races, but they do encourage just the sort of enjoyable daily activity that is so closely linked with health and longevity.
1. Schwinn Admiral Hybrid Bike (Wal-Mart, $159) – this is mine!
2. Front Handlebar Wicker Bike Basket (Amazon, $27.95) – this is mine!
3. Nutcase Mini Dot Helmet (Amazon, $69.99)
4. Huffy Fresno Cruiser Bike (Target, $139.99)
5. Huffy Sportsman Cruiser Bike (Kohl’s, $179.99)
6. Schwinn Pattern helmet (Target, $26.99)
7. House of Talents Oblong Bike Basket (Amazon, $49.94)
Any favorite bike routes in New England? Do tell!