Don’t let cough syrup give cherries a bad rap. One taste of these juicy, summer rubies, and you’ll be declaring a new favorite fruit in no time. Fresh cherries have a pretty short season here in New England (peaking late June through mid July), but they are so deliciously addicting that most people can put down several weeks worth of cherries while simply standing in front of the refrigerator. Not that I know anything about that.
Delicious enough to enjoy straight out of a bowl, cherries are also the perfect natural sweetener, and that’s how I’m showcasing them in this chilled, chocolately recipe. These succulent little stone fruits eliminate the need for added sugars, while tangy yogurt and rich cocoa deepen the flavor. Overnight oatmeal is usually a breakfast pick, but I like to keep a bowl of this chocolate cherry concoction in the fridge for dessert, especially on hot summer nights.
Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oatmeal
- 2/3 cup fresh pitted cherries (Don’t buy a cherry pitter! Use this trick)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat organic)
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
Optional garnishes: sliced almonds, fresh cherries
- In a small mixing bowl, mash cherries with a potato masher or a large fork, under cherries are smooshed and juices are released.
- Add all other ingredients to bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a mason jar or a breakfast bowl, and set covered in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve cold, after mixture has chilled and the porridge has thickened (at least 8 hours).
- Top with optional garnishes, such as fresh cherries or sliced almonds, if desired.
Nutrition per Serving: 260 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 44g carbohydrates (10g fiber, 16g sugar*), 15g protein, 4mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 16% Iron, 12% Calcium, 1% Vitamin A, 12% Vitamin C
*all sugars are naturally occurring, none are added sugars