A somewhat unlikely duo, beans and pasta are an odd sounding but much loved combination in my repertoire. The beans contribute protein to an otherwise carb-heavy meal, offering a delightful change in texture, and a rich, hearty flavor. This Italian inspired dish uses creamy cannellini beans and whole wheat linguine as a canvas for sautéed summer vegetables (heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, and Tuscan kale). Grated parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil round out the meal.
^^ Fresh from the farmers market! Pro tip: Pick up your eggplants and tomatoes now, before they retire for the season
^^ This recipe is great for entertaining, and was the first meal I served on my new roof patio
Summer Harvest Linguine with Cannellini Beans
- 8 oz whole wheat linguine
- 2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium to large eggplant, chopped
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (or other white bean), drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut or torn into ribbons
- Cook linguine according to package instructions. After draining, toss the pasta with one teaspoon olive oil (to prevent noodles from sticking) and set aside.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and eggplant.
- While the onion and eggplant are softening, chop the tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are chopped, add them to the skillet (the eggplant will have absorbed all of the oil by this point, so the pan will need the liquid from the tomatoes).
- Add the garlic, salt, oregano, and cannellini beans, stirring occasionally.
- While the vegetables are cooking, remove the kale leaves from their stems and tear or chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add the kale to the skillet, stirring until kale is wilted.
- Dive the pasta among four plates, then top each plate with the vegetable mixture. Garnish each plate with one tablespoon each parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil.
Nutrition per Serving: 510 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat). 23g protein, 86g carbohydrates (20g fiber, 15g sugar*), 4mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 233% Vitamin A, 250% Vitamin C, 31% Calcium, 37% Iron
*none are added sugars