Confession: I have not been to the grocery store since before Thanksgiving. Before Thanksgiving!!! As a result, my fridge is looking pretty bare, and all I have left are a few pantry staples. Think you can’t make a delicious meal with a sweet potato, dried lentils, and Greek yogurt? Think again! This vegetarian meal is packed full of protein and fiber to keep you full for hours.
Simple Stuffed Sweet Potato with Lentils
medium to large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup
green lentils, cooked (I cooked up a few servings of lentils ahead of time)
- 1/4 cup
nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- Chili Powder
- Rinse your dried lentils off before cooking. Cook the lentils by simmering them on the stovetop for about 30 minutes. Use a 2:1 ratio of water to lentils. There is no need to soak them overnight.
- Wash your sweet potato well, and then poke holes all over it with a fork. Microwave the potato for 5 minutes on high.
- Flip your potato over, assess its level of doneness, and microwave for an additional 2-4 minutes. If your lentils are coming from the fridge, this would be a good time to warm them up on the plate with the potato.
- Once your potato and lentils are warm and cooked, slice along the topside of your potato and pop it open. Be careful, it’s HOT!
- Give the potato a few good shakes of chili powder and paprika and mash it in with your fork.
- Next add ½ cup of cooked lentils into the potato, and sprinkle on more chili powder and paprika. This is where the flavor comes from!
- Finally, dollop on ¼ cup of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt, and sprinkle on a tiny bit more paprika and chili powder, for garnish. Serves 1. Enjoy!
Nutrition: 325 calories, 0g fat, 4mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 1050mg potassium, 63g carbohydrates (15g fiber, 17g sugar), 18g protein, 769% Vitamin A, 68% Vitamin C, 16% Calcium, 26% Iron
Nutrition Facts estimated using MyFitnessPal.
You must be logged in to post a comment.